In these dog days of summer (what does that even mean?), homecooking can be difficult--to say the least. Who wants to turn on the stove or oven in this heat?
"The world is my sauna right now."
-Khrysti Smyth (my pal)
Well, to get the right nutrition, sometimes you have to do it--even when you don't want to. Here's something we whipped up last night that was fast, easy, healthy --and only needed a little "hot prep" to make it happen.
1) several small summer squash and/or zucchini
2) fresh dark leafy greens of choice (we used kale)
3) some olive oil or coconut oil for sautee
PREP: Chop up or slice the squash and zucchini. Tear up the greens into bite sized pieces (or chop with a knife) and put them in a pan with several teaspoons of oil. Saute over medium to low heat.
4) boxed Gardenburgers (you can make these homemade, sure. We don't have time for that right now in our lives. Boxed will do.) I prefer soy-free ones--I am not a fan of "fake meat" products.
5) a few slices of Ezekial bread--(I'll write a blog post on each of these foods and why they are good ones to choose)
6) fixins' (i.e. organic ketchup, sliced onion, sliced fresh tomato, lettuce)
PREP: Brown the Gardenburgers in a pan over med/low heat with a wee bit of oil. Toast your bread.
COMBINE: the fresh veggie sautee (a sprinkle of salt makes these killer!) and the burgers---add whatever else might make this quick summer dinner enjoyable and FUN!