Nothing says fall like some harvest dinner goodness.
Like cheddar cheese and crackers and some squash and apple soup? And don't forget the kale, of course.
Get a feeling of groundedness from the squash (it grows in the ground, get it?) and the sweetness of the roasted butternut plus the apple will totally satisfy your sweet tooth. Choose locally-made cheddar if possible. Making this meal definitely made me miss living in Vermont where I was this time last year but I'm grateful for all the good memories.
Here's a fall-tastic meal that's easy, convenient and delicious. What more can you ask for?
Harvest Dinner of Champions
Roasted butternut squash and apple soup:
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 medium apple (like Honeycrisp or Pink Lady), chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 TBSP butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Use parchment paper to line a baking dish or cookie sheet.
3) Add butternut squash cut lengthwise into quarters. Remove seeds and rub exposed squash flesh with extra virgin olive oil (oh my!)
4) Bake in the oven for 35-50 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork. Cut into cubes and keep the skin on.
5) In a large pot, melt 1 TBSP butter over low heat and brown onion.
6) Add chopped apple and cook 2 mins. Add 1 cup water. Add cubed squash.
7) Add 1/2 cup more water if needed and cook contents down until soft. Add small pinch of salt. USe hand blender to combine all ingredients until smooth. Serve warm in a bowl.
Sauteed kale with sliced garlic:
- 3-4 big kale leaves, trimmed off stem and chopped fine
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced very thin
- 1 TBSP coconut or olive oil
1) Warm oil in a frying pan over medium heat
2) Add garlic and cook 3 minutes until it begins to brown
3) Add chopped kale and cook down until soft
4) Serve hot and sprinkle with pinch of sea salt
Cheese and crackers
Buy good quality cheese and crackers to complement this meal. I enjoy CABOT Cheddar and Carr's Crackers.
I'd love to hear comments if you make this! What is your favorite part? I can't choose, I love every aspect. That's why I posted it as a package deal.